The ten BT Telephone Exchanges (and six former) in the St Austell (01726) telephone area
Grampound Road former Manual Exchange

The former Grampound Road manual exchange is in South Street, Grampound Road, Truro TR2 4DZ.
It came into operation in the 1920s and closed at the opening of the automatic exchange in 1961. It was sold by the GPO in September of that year and retains its name of Stratford House.
Photo courtesy of Rightmove.
Mevagissey ATE

Mevagissey Telephone Exchange is located in Chapel Square, Mevagissey, St Austell PL26 6ST and serves Mevagissey and the surrounding villages.
Nanpean ATE

Par former Manual Exchange

The former Par manual exchange is at 12 Harbour Lane, Par, St Austell PL24 2BB.
The first Par exchange was opened by the National Telephone Company in the 1890s. The last manual exchange closed at automation on 25 November 1959.
The former shop is now a private house.
Photo (1909) courtesy of BT Archives.
St Austell ATE

St Austell Telephone Exchange is located in East Hill, St Austell PL25 4TL and serves St Austell and the surrounding area.
ID: WWSAUS. Photo courtesy of Andy Hebden.
Stenalees ATE

ID: WWSTEN. Photo courtesy of Denver.
Stenalees former Manual Exchange

The former Stenalees manual exchange is in Telephone Lane, Stenalees, St Austell PL26 8TF.
It was opened by the National Telephone Company around 1905.
It closed on 29 September 1939 when it was replaced by a UAX13 in Higher Bugle.
It is now a private house once more.
Photo courtesy of BT Archives.










