The eight BT Telephone Exchanges (and eight former) in the Scarborough (01723) telephone area
Cayton Bay ATE

Cayton Bay former ATE

The former Cayton Bay exchange was situated in Mill Lane, Cayton Bay, Scarborough YO11 3NN.
The first ATE here was an RAX5 opened on 20 August 1929. It was replaced in about 1950 by a UAX 13. It closed in 1971 and is believed to have since been demolished.
Its dialling code was 072 382.
ID: MYCAY. Map courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Cloughton ATE

Filey former ATE

The first Filey auto exchange is believed to stand in a lane off Murray Street, Filey YO14 9DE.
A plaque with the GR royal cipher and the date 1937 is in the wall of a building behind what was once the main post office in Murray Street (now Captain Will’s bar).
A UAX14 came into service here on 7 September 1938 to replace a manual exchange, the first of which was opened in Mitford Street by the NTC on 10 April 1906.
Its dialling code was 072 381.
ID: MYFIL. Photo required.
Hackness ATE

Hunmanby former ATE

The former Hunmanby exchange is on the corner of Hungate Lane and Vicarage Close, Hunmanby, Filey YO14 0NW.
The smaller building housed an RAX5 which came into service on 29 October 1929. The larger building housed a later UAX13 which closed in 1972.
Since closure it has been a café and a barber’s shop and is now private accommodation.
Its dialling code was 072 386.
Scalby former Manual Exchange

The first Scalby manual exchange was located in Mount Pleasant, Scalby, Scarborough YO13 0RR.
It was opened about 1906 by the National Telephone Company. Scalby manual exchange closed on March 13 1969 after the automatic Scarborough was opened.
Photo courtesy of Rightmove.
Scarborough ATE

Scarborough former Manual Exchange

The first Scarborough manual exchange was at 27 Huntriss Row, Scarborough YO11 2ED, seen here in the centre.
It was opened in 1885 with 22 subscribers. It was replaced by a National Telephone Company exchange in Vernon Chambers in Vernon Road in Edwardian times which closed in 1921.
Photo (2024) courtesy of Loopnet.
Scarborough former Manual Exchange

The third Scarborough manual exchange was on an upper floor in the post office in Aberdeen Walk, Scarborough YO11 1AA.
It opened in 1921, replacing an exchange opened by the National Telephone Company in Vernon Road.
It closed on 12 March 1969 when it was replaced by the current exchange.
Photo (2010) courtesy of Dr Neil Cllifton.
Snainton ATE

West Ayton ATE

Wykeham former ATE

The former Wykeham telephone exchange stands beside the A170 in Wykeham, Scarborough YO13 9QP.
It came into service in the 1950s as a UAX12 to replace a manual exchange opened in 1911.
It closed in 1968, lines being taken by West Ayton exchange as 24** numbers.
It did not have an STD dialling code.
Photo required.




